Strategic Information Specialist – ZAM-Health Project Activity
LOCATION: Lusaka, Zambia
DEPARTMENT/UNIT: Strategic Information (SI)
REPORTS TO: Strategic Information Senior Advisor
POSTING DATE: 04/01/2023
DEADLINE DATE: 04/17/2023
The USAID Zambia Accessible Markets for Health (ZAM-Health) Activity is a five-year project to
expand the availability and accessibility of high-quality health products and services in the private sector,
improve health knowledge, and increase the adoption of healthy and health-seeking behaviors. The
program employs private sector approaches such as marketing, social franchising, and partnerships with
for-profit entities to achieve these outcomes. USAID ZAM-Health is implemented by John Snow Health
Zambia (JSH) in partnership with JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), Media 365 and
PharmAccess. In order to effectively monitor and evaluate project progress, the project will collect
routine data on select indicators. The sources for the data include, but are not limited to, facility records
and sales data of private providers with whom the project will partner. Routine program data will serve as
a mechanism to track and monitor performance trends.
The SI Specialist is responsible for collecting routine data; aggregation and entry in different reporting
formats – daily, weekly, monthly, Quarterly and SmartCare systems. to inform project decisions. The SI
Specialist is expected to generate knowledge from this data to enable the project to subsequently monitor
progress during implementation of various programs over the life of the project.
The Specialist will also be responsible for data completeness and ensuring data quality in all HIV
RMNCH & Family Planning related forms and registers at the facility level and will work very closely
with facility-based staff and community volunteers/lay counselors for following up clients. The Specialist
will be required to provide assistance to the Strategic Information Senior Advisor at HQ level when
required for activities such Data Review Meetings and participation of Quality Assurance and Quality
Improvement activities such as Data Audits and verification.
This position requires a mature individual that is able to pay attention to detail, can work in a dynamic
environment and able to manage deadlines. This full-time position is based in Lusaka, Zambia.
Roles and Responsibilities
● Perform data entry of client records in the Electronic Health Record System (SmartCare) for
HIV-positive patients at health facilities offering ART and general clinical care services and
ensure that SmartCare is up to date daily in ART sites;
● Ensure all the ART EVENTS are reflective of the ART EVENTS register on a daily basis; and
● Ensure all RMNCH & Family Planning indicators are recorded correctly in standard registers at
facility level and in data collection tool.
● Ensure that all RMNCH/FP Deliverables required to be generated and submitted routinely are
submitted to the SNR SI Advisor on time (i.e. DMPA forms);
● Ensure that all SmartCare Deliverables required to be generated and submitted routinely such as
Transport Databases and SmartCare MER reports are submitted to the Snr SI Advisor on time;
● Ensure routine reports required at facility are generated timely and consistently such as (i.e. client
appointments and clients due for viral reports.); and
● Assist the Team lead on site with monthly reports in terms of verification of data from across
different departments at the facility.
● Verify all reports before submission to the SI Senior Advisor;
● Ensure HMIS reports are verified and reconciled for indicators required by MoH;
● Monitor and keep track of performance indicators such as clients due for clinical, Pharmacy and
Viral load visits;
● Ensure that client files are well organized at the facility;
● Ensure that routine File count is done at the facility;
● Work with the SI Senior Advisor to ensure that the SmartCare System is up to date and fully
functional; and assist in upgrading when requested for;
● Travel across assigned facilities within the Hub, as requested;
● Prepare and participate in facility and Hub review meetings;
● Ensure that parallel reporting systems are well updated by working in collaboration Technical
● In collaboration with the Counsellor supervisor, ensure that all registers are up to date and ready
for data collection. Ensure that all CHWs have updated all of their activities in all necessary
registers in preparation for data collection;
● Ensure data is accurately updated in the project database and copies of collected data are shared
with facility in-charge;
● Review the process for data collection and contribute to the development of standard operating
procedures and improvement ideas;
● Submit completed reports to the supervisor and discuss developments as per schedule; and
● Any other tasks or responsibilities, as assigned.
● Diploma in social sciences, statistics, computer science, monitoring and evaluation, project
management, public health, management information systems, or related health informatics. A
degree is an advantage;
● Applied knowledge of Health Management Information System (HMIS);
● Applied knowledge of HIV/AIDS and FP/RMNCH information systems;
● Knowledge of USAID M&E Reporting system;
● Solid background in data analysis;
● Computer proficiency in Word and Excel;
● Demonstrated experience and competence in the use of SMARTCARE;
● Previous experience working as a data entry clerk is an added advantage;
● 2+ years’ experience in related research, specifically collecting survey data preferred;
● Demonstrated ability to work proactively, and be resourceful and results-oriented;
● Demonstrated ability to work independent effectively and as part of a team with strong
interpersonal skills are essential;
● Demonstrated ability to organize work and be detailed-oriented;
● Excellent oral and written communication skills in English required; and
● Ability to travel within Zambia when required.
Applicants are required to submit a cover letter and CV with three references and full addresses and contact information via the application form through the following link.
Please note that you do not need to apply if you don’t meet the minimum requirements. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within 3 weeks after the closing date, kindly assume that your application was not successful.
Closing Date: April 17, 2023
JSH is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information or political affiliation.