Advisor, Social and Behaviour Change-Private Sector – USAID ZAM-Health Activity
LOCATION: Lusaka, Zambia
DEPARTMENT/UNIT: Technical, SBC Unit
DURATION: Full-Time position
REPORTS TO: Director, Social and Behaviour Change
POSTING DATE: 09/05/2023
DEADLINE DATE: 09/08/2023
The USAID Zambia Accessible Markets for Health (ZAM-Health) Activity is a five-year project to expand the availability and accessibility of high-quality health products and services in the private sector, improve health knowledge, and increase the adoption of healthy and health-seeking behaviours. The program will employ private sector approaches such as marketing, social franchising, and partnerships with for-profit entities to achieve these outcomes. USAID ZAM-Health is implemented by John Snow Health Zambia (JSH) in partnership with JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), Media 365 and PharmAccess.
The Advisor, Social and Behaviour Change-Private Sector provides strategic, technical and programmatic support to the USAID ZAM-HEALTH in the area of social and behavioural change and demand generation in the project focus areas. This is a full-time position based in Lusaka, Zambia and supervised by the Director, SBC.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Strategic, technical and programmatic support to all project areas related to Social and Behaviour Change.
- Capacity development for other Project Staff on SBC in general. Particularly, regionally based SBC Officers.
- Assess the needs of the private facilities in terms of marketing/creating demand for their services
- Support Private health facilities with SBC strategies, materials and trainings
- Evidence and knowledge development and dissemination in the area of SBC and demand generation.
- Working collaboratively with other project staff, facilitate policy dialogue and technical representation in national-level SBC-related areas.
- Effective programme and project result-based management based on the SBC targets given by USAID to the Project.
- Effectively manage relationships with government, Private sector associations and other partners.
- Work with the Director – SBC and the SBC Advisors- on the development of the overall USAID ZAM-Health SBC strategic direction, with particular emphasis on the project’s focus areas.
- Support the timely and quality implementation of annual work plans for USAID ZAM-Health.
- Formation and strengthening of SBC interventions in USAID ZAM-Health sites.
- Identify promising and innovative SBC-related approaches, and contribute to the design and oversight of research or studies to test and document their effectiveness.
- Facilitate the development of SBC-related strategies consistent with basic SBC principles, and incorporating innovative, multi-faceted delivery channels.
- Together with the Senior SBC Advisor work with advertising/creative agencies in the development and production of SBC materials and products.
- Manage the review process for materials development, including pretesting and stakeholders’ review
- Working with the senior SBC advisor to oversee the implementation of SBC campaigns in the private sector
- Implement and adhere to JSH’s personnel, financial, operations and fraud management policies.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director – SBC, consistent with the project objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following or related fields: health promotion and/or communication; international public health, behavioural science, or other social sciences.
- Master’s degree will be an added advantage in any of the fields listed above
- Progressive relevant SBC and HIV, FP, MNCH experience in Zambia with government entities, UN agencies, the private sector, and NGOs. International experience is a plus.
- Experience in applying a range of SBC approaches that address change in social and gender norms and structures as well as individual behaviours, and that go beyond messaging to catalysing community action.
- History of engagement with USAID-funded initiatives is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated success in applying behaviour change theory and approaches in applied field settings.
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills.
- Demonstrated success in working with local government and NGO stakeholders and experience in capacity building.
- Knowledge and experience in design and implementation of evidence-based behaviour change approaches.
- Experience in the design and implementation of behaviour change programming in the context of multi-sectoral approaches.
- Solid understanding of HIV and sexual reproductive health, maternal and child health.
- Strategic thinker, strong team player, able to deliver results without close supervision.
- Demonstrated success in managing the development of graphic and other communication materials to support behavioural change.
- Proficiency in MS Office and Internet applications.
How to Apply?
To apply, kindly fill out the application form here.
Please note that you do not need to apply if you do not meet the minimum requirements. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: September 8, 2023.
JSH is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information or political affiliation.