New Business Development and Strategy Manager – John Snow Health Zambia
LOCATION: Lusaka, Zambia
DURATION: Full-Time position
DEPARTMENT/UNIT: Corporate Office
REPORTS TO: JSH Executive Director
POSTING DATE: 11/02/2023
DEADLINE DATE: 11/13/2023
John Snow Health Limited (JSH) is a Zambian company committed to working with governments, non-governmental entities, the private sector, civil society, and communities to improve public health services. We offer a wide range of services to implement public health interventions that enhance individuals’ and communities’ health in Zambia and the region.
At JSH, we believe in inclusive growth. We ensure local communities, including marginalized groups, have access to responsive, client-centered, sustainable health systems.
The New Business and Strategy Manager is the lead person in the areas of Resource Mobilization and Business Strategy for the entire organization. Working very closely with the Executive Director, you will lead financial and other resource mobilization activities, coordinating with potential funders and keeping warm relationships with all our potential funders. It is the duty of the manager to increase the number of partners and increase the number of funded projects, thereby grow the portfolio of funding for JSH. You will work closely with the Chief Technical Advisor and the Technical Directors from JSH managed projects to crystalize and market new business opportunities by building on our successes and identified gaps in the Zambian health system. You will also collaborate with other organizations in the region with similar aspirations, universities and research institutions to create bankable projects and programs for JSH.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead efforts to both strengthen business opportunities with existing partners (e.g., USAID) and develop, implement and support strategies to diversify our funding portfolio among government, multilateral, private sector and philanthropic funders and donors;
- Develop and operationalize a Resource Mobilization Plan
- Develop improved systems for: (1) capture phase, prior to the release of an RFA/P or other funding notification; (2) the proposal process; (3) talent identification; (4) NBD information systems; and (5) communication and positioning;
- Conduct a yearly funding landscape analysis and the lead process to determine priorities for new business development efforts;
- Conduct routine analysis and reporting to the Executive Director and the Board, regarding NBD performance, success and challenges;
- Work with teams during the capture phase to make determinations regarding funding, including the go-to-don’t-go to decisions and intelligence-gathering trips;
- Be the business owner of the NBD information systems;
- Develop and maintain routine NBD communication activities;
- Actively share best practices with entities to which JSH is affiliated;
- Any other duties assigned by the Executive Director.
- Advanced degree in Strategic Management, Business, Development, Public Health, Pubic Policy, Project management, or related field
- 10+ years working in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of international health projects and new business development
- Demonstrated success in managing USG new business development
- Proven experience in securing funding from foundations, philanthropies and the private sector
- Strong managerial, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Technical expertise in one or more public health program areas
- Knowledge and experience working with the international donor community
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to provide leadership and work as part of a team
- Knowledge of and willingness/ability to promote the JSH culture to staff
- Willingness to travel as necessary
- Strong time management/task prioritization skills;
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills; and
- Computer literacy required (especially Excel, MS Word and Windows).
How to Apply?
To apply, kindly fill out the application form here.
Please note that you do not need to apply if you do not meet the minimum requirements. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: November 13, 2023.
JSH is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information or political affiliation.